Sunday, May 22, 2011

Will Run For Beer

Yesterday I ran the Blue Point Brewery 5k run for BULA (Better Understanding of Life in Africa).   Let's face it. . .I pretty much ran for the beer :D

I'm actually not a big beer person; I prefer wine, margaritas, all that jazz.

But after a race, I love it :)

So when I was looking up a 5k for last weekend and I saw this one I figured I might as well do it, even if it was mostly just for the "refreshments" afterwards.

Blue Point Brewery and their microbrews are kind of a big deal on Long Island (they distribute to most of the east coast, any of my east coast readers tried a Blue Point Beer?)

Some of the brews have fun names and designs like:

Hoptical Illusion

and 

RastafaRye

Getting back to the actual race, yesterday morning I wasn't sure if I was up for another 5k (I hadn't pre registered), but I decided to just do it for fun and not pressure myself for a PR.

My final time was 21:07 (6:48 pace) 
11/ 142 overall, 4/ 58 F, 3/ 16 Age group

This was still a hard effort for me, and it is the first time I haven't PR'ed since I began racing again in September.  It is also the first time that I've raced on back to back weekends, all my other races were at least a month apart.

My first mile was 6:30 and it felt really good, that is right around the pace I need to hold for a Sub-20 (6:27).  Then at the 2 mile I was just below 13:30 which was a little disappointing to me.  I haven't been wearing my Garmin in the 5ks yet, but I think I will in my next race so I can work on keeping the pace up in that 2nd mile.

Let's get back to the good stuff :D

Afterwards they had 2 tap beers; Toasted Lager and Blueberry Ale

I went for the Blueberry and it was amazing :)
Repp'in a Met's tee in honor of the Subway Series 
and that little orange bracelet meant you could refill as much as you'd like :D

This week I'm going all out in training, most likely two speed sessions and I am going to up the amount of intervals.  I realize I am dying out a bit at the end of these races.   I think I held on pretty good last weekend and I also came into yesterday's race a little fatigued, but I still need to be finishing stronger.  

Since I plan on going all out and hopefully PR'ing on June 5th, I am going to take it easier on that lead up week as a taper.

Any suggestions on what my interval workouts should be this week in order to improve my speed stamina and finish strong?  I've really been making up my training as I go along, but at this point (my body has always liked to hang around the 20:30-21:00 range when in good shape), I need to be extra smart about it to get past this time plateau that I always seem to get stuck at.

 And since this post is half about beer: Have you ever tried a Blue Point Brewery Beer? Have you ever entered a race mostly for the free beer at the end ;)? or if not, would you? :D

20 comments:

Melissa Cunningham said...

still a fast time!!!
and lol about the beer...
seems like a great day!
and,yes,you should probably add in longer sessions of interval work...
perhaps alternate between 8-10x400's and 4-6x800's?
pace should be at or slightly below PR 5k pace,
rest should be light jogging,not walking,youve got to practice running fast even when your dog tired!
anyways,regardless of what type of interval training you decide to do,you can and WILL break that 20min mark!!!
very proud of you and i always love reading up on your blog!!!

TeamMancuso said...

My husband actually likes having beer after a race.. I think I would throw up! LOL!!!!!!!

Megan said...

I am dreaming of a fast time like that! Awesome job!!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great time! I have never done a run where they had free beer at the end, I am missing out!

RockStarTri said...

A BP Toasted is a wonderful after workout beverage! The first 2 don't even count. Good job.

Doug said...

A gas station around the corner from me sells the RastafaRye all the way down in Orlando. Haven't tried it yet, but I like the funny looking label.

coach dion said...

If only more races gave you beer at the end, I don't take medals, but would run fast just to get more beer...

OK so what do you need to break 20min in that 5km race? Always a good question, and yes the answer is sessions, but you do need distance... if you aren't running enough distance you will always struggle at the end of your race...

Julie said...

I rarely drink beer anymore - it's too filling for me, but I do love a single beer every once in a while. Yesterday was one of those days. After our bike ride, that first beer and first piece of pizza were like THE BEST things I had ever tasted!

Alisa said...

I can't wait to move to the east coast to try this beer!

I have a Bondi Band that says "will run for beer" Apparently beer is supposed to be good for after a run. It's full of carbs and vitamins!

Tri-James said...

1 mile repeats at project 5k pace work wonders. I try to keep the rest interval around 90 seconds. Start with 3 repeats then work up to 5. Then start making them 2 mile repeats.

Give yourself 6 weeks and the 5k will seem easy.

Also take a look here (turn your speakers down)-

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Rachelle Wardle said...

Awesome time girl! It is okay to not PR at every race. It is more about the learning experience. Awesome that they had unlimitted beer at the finish. How fun! I struggle with finishing as strong as I start too. So let me know how your interval training goes.

Run with Jess said...

Great time!! I'm always down for a free beer after a race!!

Alex said...

yummmm...what I would give for a beer right now. =) 5 months to go!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Jeff (Dangle the Carrot) was supposed to hand me a beer yesterday at the finish and he didn't.... I was SO looking forward to it too.....

Just_because_today said...

Beer is one of those things I can not get into, not even after a race. I always complain that no one ever has wine after a race, just beer.
I should change that in the races I direct...

Amanda@runninghood said...

Katie, long time no comment! Sorry about that. :) Well done even if it isn't a PR. And BEER! Yummy! Good luck with your training and taking it up a notch. I must get caught up so I can see what you're training for. Besides beer. :) I love beer. :)

Nelly said...

nice job on the race! You are a racing machine!

That is awesome on your streak of PRing every race since September, that is a long streak!

And awesome on being able to fill up on beer unlimited number of times after the race, haha I've never had a beer at the end of a race, usually my stomach is always not feeling good from pushing so hard, haha

hauterunningmama said...

Awesome finish girl! Even if it wasn't a PR! Speedy speedy speedy!

I have never had a Blue Point Brewery Beer. Wonder if they have it here in SoCal? Ballast Point and Stone are local and are pretty popular here. I am not a big drinker, but I do like the Ballast Point after a race! :)

Chris K said...

Would be tough to PR after your awesome race last weekend. I have never heard of that beer.

Here's what I do: 5 x 1000M at 20 seconds FASTER than 5k pace. 500M recovery in-between. Not easy stuff. So, run 20 sec faster than your pace from last week (6:36???). That should make you strong.

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I'm not a beer person at all. I'm much more a wine person. I even give away my "free beer" tabs after a race. haha