Monday, May 23, 2011

Tough Love

 Post 7 mile run in the rain today (it down-poured on miles 4-6):
For some reason when I am running in a down pour I can't help but have an ear to ear smile on :)

    While I was running in the rain I was thinking about my plan of action for the week.  Many commenters suggested increasing my number of intervals which I 100% agree with, it will not be easy, but it is not supposed to be easy.  The only way I am going to get past this mid 20's hump that I have always stalled on and never moved beyond, is to push myself further than I think I can possibly go.  I also need to slow down just a bit in the beginning so I have enough to make it through with out quitting; if I have more to give in the ending reps  I'll pick it up.

   So with that said and the help of a few commenters, namley Tri-James and Coach Dion whose advice I've used  in formulating my 2 interval workouts for the week, here is the Tough Love plan:

   Also note this is the first time I have  actually planned out a week of training as opposed to just taking it day by day.

5/23~ Easy distance- 7 miles/ 1 hour- I went garmin-less on this today to make sure I concentrated on getting the miles in and feeling good, not on going faster and faster.

5/24~ Mile Repeats- 4x1 mile repeats at 6:20-6:30/ 90 second rest

5/25~ 3-4 mile easy run

5/26~ 400 Repeats- 14x 400 at 1:32-1:34 (slowing it down from last weeks 400's so I can do all 14 of 'em :D)/ 60 second rest

5/27~ 3-ish mile easy/ or off?

5/28~ Tempo- 1 mile easy/ 3.5 6:55 pace?/ 1 mile easy = 5.5

5/29~ This will be my first day of work at the beach so I will probably take a nice easy run on the beach just for the enjoyment.

   I will also be doing some bodyrock workouts (not sure which days), along with other resistance training (push-ups, pull-ups, core, resistance bands) and I'd like to get a stair session in on one of the easy days, maybe Sunday?

  Any input on this schedule is welcome.  It's pretty much focused on getting 2 very quality interval workouts in.


* I've already converted Dales to a BodyRock lovaa :) She was hating me after the first workout on Friday, then we did TWO BR workouts on Sunday (the 6 minute one again/ 1 mile walk around the block/ Cut The Cheese workout [14 min])

19 comments:

Mon Amour said...

Looks like a hard week of training, good luck!

Julie said...

I love running in the rain, too! Warm rain...

RockStarTri said...

I am a big believer in speed work since that is the best way to get, you guessed it, speed. That being said, I'm also a big believer in recovery and I think that you need a little more rest. Also, I wouldn't jump from the smaller number of intervals that you did previously to 14 - there is plenty of time to increase. Pay attention to the 10% rule.

PS: Where is the biking? Don't you have a tri coming up? :)

Lisa Staples said...

The key to speed work and (a little bit a fat loss in my case)is high interval training. So I am also trying to incorporate at least two HIIT runs a week along with maybe 1 spin HIIT training.

Do you have the interval timer from bodyrock.tv? I want one! And the sand bag & dip machine. lol

Katie said...

RockStar~ I would agree with you, but my reasoning for going from 5-14 is that I am slowing them down by about 5 secs (a lot in a 400 ;) The reason I could only get 5 on Thursday is that I did them at absolute max effort, the plan for this Thursday is pacing :) And I'm kind of flexible on rest and giving myself an extra day if I need it.

lol on the biking, I have been riding around my block when it is nice out, I'm still getting used to the gears and confidence. After this 5k on June 5th I am going to change to more tri-centric training. Swimming will be easier to get in when I am at the beach as well.

Lisa~ I don't have the timer yet, right now I use online timers, but I do want to get one soon so I can bodyrock at the beach. . .and force my co-workers to do it too :D

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Looks like a busy week with the speed/interval work. If you have energy for additional workouts after that ... good for you. I always plan on it, but run out of steam in the afternoon and usually skip it.

Michael said...

Sounds like a tough week...I kind of agree with Rock Star though - make sure you get your recovery. You can probably go this hard this week, but you may want to take it a little easier next week. But, who am I to say - you run a 6ish minute mile and mine is 12....so nevermind....I say do what works for you - obviously something is working!

Nelly said...

both the 4x1 mile repeat day and the 14x400 repeat day sounds really hard, haha the most 400s I've ever done is 10, and I've died at the end of the workout, haha Maybe I would do 10-11 instead of 14?

Power Multisport and Coach Dion might have the best input on how many to do though, they always seem to be right on with workouts

Jill said...

Don't forget a rest day in there, too...it's what makes all the other runs soooo much better! :)

Running in the rain is awesome - as long as there's no thunder, yikes!

Alisa said...

I'm not a fan of running in downpours, soggy shoes are not my bag. But sprinkles/light rain, they rock my world. Speaking of precipitation, I also enjoy running in the snow, which is something I think everyone should experience.

Tri-James said...

Tough love is right!

But remember, you don’t get BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER during the workout. You get BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER when you recover. 2 speed works in a week could be too much. You have all the time in the world.

Pick a speed workout and a tempo for each week and nail them. Then switch it up the next week.

I would increase the mileage for the tempo.

Matty O said...

Everything I know from 8 yrs of XC and reading up on running says only 1 speed workout per week and 1-2 days recovery.

I get that you are eager but you need to be smart too. Trust me, I did this last year and have nothing but injuries this year. It will catch up with you and hurt you.

Ditto on what James said too.

Rachelle Wardle said...

Sounds like a great plan! I can't wait to see how things workout. Best of luck and I know you will get a sub 20 this Summer. You are so stinking close!!

Neon Blonde Runner said...

Or you can always refer to my favorite Prefontaine quote while racing!

“The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die .”

katy said...

Cut the Cheese was WAYYYYYY better than the 6 minute!! Also: I am newly in love with Zuzana!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

way to bust out so much bodyrock! i love it!

Chris K said...

If you count you tempo run as speed, that almost seems like too much speed work in one week. Of course I'm not Coach and just got chicked by the girl from Long Island, but I do intervals 1X per week and tempo 1X per week.

Personal Trainer NYC said...

That looks like a pretty comprehensive week of running you've got programed in there!!

Thanks for checking out my site, I will keep up with you (or try to, at least ;)

Keri said...

Wow! You aren't messing around! You have me converted to bodyrock too! Loving all your track workouts...I just did 3 x 1600 last week. I'm trying to work up to 6!

Hows the studying going??