Sunday, May 15, 2011

Keep On Running Till The World Ends (Aka Race Recap)

   I had to use that in the title because Britney's "Till The World Ends" was the only song I listened to for my whole 5k this morning.  I had lots of great running songs on my playlist but I got into a groove with that one and didn't want to mess with it :D  I love how Nikki Minaj says, "Friiieeddd."


On to the deets:
    I decided a few days ago that I was itching to do a 5k, my last one was at the beginning of March and I didn't want to wait till my June 5th to do another.    I was using today's race mostly as a tempo workout since I've pushed myself really hard this week and I did workouts on Friday (stairs and bodyrock) that I would not normally do 2 days before a race. Being that I have high hopes for my race in 3 weeks,  I didn't want to skimp on my training just to run a decent time today, more of use today's race to help me get a sick time on June 5th :D

   Anywayss when I decided I wanted to run a 5k this weekend I hoped on Long Island Running and searched for the nearest 5k.  Score! Found a race 10 minutes from my house :)  I had no idea how big the race was going to be, but the fact that it had no online registration kinda tipped me off that it wouldn't be a huge race.

   I woke up this morning to rain and had a few second thoughts, especially since I hadn't registered yet, but I kinda enjoy running in the rain and the low 60's temp was perfect for racing.  So off I went, of course I had some nerves because even though I didn't put pressure on myself for a certain time, I knew I would be disappointed if I didn't run close to 21 flat.

   I arrived and quickly realized this race was going to be small.  I was a little early (wanted to make sure I could register), but this was not the typical race atmosphere, there was maybe 20 people scattered around and half of them were volunteers.   While registering I found out there were no bibs, no chips, they just handed you a card at the end of the race which you then brought to a table with your time.

  As I warmed up people started to file in, still not a large amount, but I was kind of enjoying the low key-ness of this race.  The race was held to raise money for Sarcoma and before the start a High Schooler who had survived sarcoma spoke and honored another woman in their community who was battling a relapse.  I got all teary eyed.

  On to the start (a few cones), we lined up, the director said go, and we were off :D  Two college runner boys took off straight to the front, I think the lead truck wasn't even moving fast enough for them.  I started out in around 6th place behind a few other guys.  And then, within 400 meters of the start, I was in 3rd.  I felt strong and had a great pace going, one that I felt I could hold without dying right at the start of the 2nd mile.  There were HS volunteers out on the roads directing, but I was still nervous about making a wrong turn as the lead truck and 2 lead boys were out of sight and I was leading the rest of the race.  I was pretty much on my own, although up until around the 3rd mile I had a guy hanging right behind me.

     Running truly is half mental because I've found that when I've got a strong lead in a race it just feels easier.  I'm not one to give a lot of details from each mile during the race, I am in my own world while racing and have difficulty recalling specific aspects of each mile.  What I do know is I felt strong and in control the whole race, my legs felt amazing and never tired (although my calves are feeling it now).  I didn't have a point (which I often do in 5ks) when I slowed up in the middle just to make it through (the fact that I was being chased by the pack 1 minute back may have helped :D) .  I would say it even felt easier than some of my past slower races.

  I wasn't sure of my mile splits, I figured it was right around the water tables and my stopwatch (I'm still afraid to wear my Garmin in a 5k, actually I think it would be a really bad idea for me) had me at around 6:40 miles.  Someone told me after that they had people reading mile splits but they weren't very noticeable or very loud (and I had music.)

Soooo the good stuff:
  3rd Overall (out of ?), 1st Female. . . 20:35 (6:37 pace) :D  25 second PR!
                                 and the best part

Winners got cookies and cash!
For a small race they sure didn't skimp on the awards ;)
Actually I'm happiest about my time and how amazing it felt, but the money is nice too :)

One of the best parts of today's race was that it helped me realize that, yes, 19:xx IS within my reach.

   Thank You all who have expressed this sentiment in recent comments, now I need to believe in myself, bust my boot-ay the next 2.5 weeks and get 'er done!

This was from last post, but it didn't post to most blog link lists, so repost of the race attiyah:

36 comments:

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Awesome job!!! That's flyin' girl! Enjoy those cookies!!!

Mon Amour said...

Congrats on running under 21! That is so awesome!

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

Way to PR by that much on a 5k! Glad you didn't get lost, I'm always scared there will be a big gap in front of me and I won't know which way to go. Enjoy your prize $$$.

Rachelle Wardle said...

Yay great job!! I am beyond excited for you. Sub 20 is all yours girl. I am so impressed and so awesome that you won money.

It is so funny but sometimes the smaller races are actually the best. I always love to hop in small town races last minute. Great choice!

Melissa said...

congrats on a new PR and 1st place!! you rocked it :)

Marian said...

Congrats girl on the PR!! What a great time. Hope you got to enjoy the cookies:)

Danielle said...

Awesome job on the PR! You will hit a sub 20 before you know it!!

Laura Frey said...

Hollllaaaa! Congrats!! That is a kick ass time!! You must be stoked! I love the outfit too. Especially arms up, my personal favorite pose, hehe

Keep rockin' it!

Lisa Staples said...

CONGRATS!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Nice job, and congrats on the PR!!
:)

Alisa said...

CONGRATS!

Sometimes running smaller races is better! You don't have to deal with all the people faster than you, which can bring anyone down (even if they don't notice). But bigger races = bigger perks!

Doug said...

Good job on your race. Sometimes a low key race helps, because you relax and don't have expectations weighing you down mentally.

coach dion said...

Think you had better keep looking for those small races, I love them too and sometimes it is just what you need to just focus on the running and not all those people around you.

GREAT TIME you really kicked butt and the sub 20 will come with a couple more sessions...

Nelly said...

Wow, you destroyed that race!!! A 25 second 5K PR is gigantic!

And you need to update your PRs on the right column to this new time! haha

A 19:xx 5K is definitely possible for you!

Keelie Sheridan said...

YAAASSSS! Get it, girl!!!! SO happy for you!

DreamingofArnold said...

Congrats on your win and more so on your time!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

GORGEOUS GIRL!!! You are absolutely amazing!! I am so so happy for you!!! Cash and cookies....best prize EVER!!!

Dash said...

YAY!!! Super duper fantastic time!! Congratulations!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat said...

That's an awesome time! Congrats!

Jill said...

25 second PR?? Amazing! High Fives to you, girl...and nothing beats cookies and cash! Congrats!!

Stefanie D. said...

Um, wow. That is an incredible PR! Good job!

Neon Blonde Runner said...

YAYAY!
Congrats on a fabulous race!

I love small races, I did a tiny 4K this spring and it was so much fun.

Good call on the Britney Spears, that's a great workout song ;)

Sub-20 here you come!

Megan said...

Amazing job!! You look great!! I want to have your body!!

Michael said...

Way to go Katie!! That's so awesome! 3rd place overall in a race, that's only something I would see if there were only 3 people in the race! Congrats on the win, cookies and cash!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

Way to go! Money is always nice, but just knowing you placed in a race is a pretty cool feeling!

Melissa Cunningham said...

holy speed demon, batman!!!!SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!
dang! that means i HAVE to step things up now,huh?
:D

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the poduim finish

LeslieGoldman said...

agree - nothing like running in the rain to make a girl feel hard core :-) Congrats on your FAB time!

Teamarcia said...

Congrats speedy! Woot for cookies and cash!

Just_because_today said...

whooo hoooo that's an amazing time for a 5K - good job! I've never even come close to it. I ran a marathon instead, somehow 5Ks scare me more

April -mommydoespushups said...

Great time! I'm so jealous...(more jealous you got cookies though.) I've only ever won two race awards Only for age group though.(the one age group was because I was the only one in my age group running...lol! I still flaunt that trophy though!) But I've never received cookies. Sounds like a fun race!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Awesome job registering THAT day and pulling off a 1st female finish!!

No sweat, right? haha

Mike said...

Your times keep improving each race. Yiour are on a roll. Keep it up. Great job PRing and pass the cookies around.

Chris K said...

Great, just great. You chicked me by 13 seconds. Booooooo. I kid. You won fair and fair. Awesome job. I give you 1,000 congratulations.

Diet Chic ~ Jury said...

That's AWESOME!! way to go, :)

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

I am way late but I wanted to say congrats on your PR!! Boy you are fast!!