Saturday, May 7, 2011

Impromptu Hill Sprints

      On Wednesday I took a little trip  upstate (NY) to see my best friend for some Cino De Mayo celebrations.  She works at a Mexican restaurant and they were having a big DJ'ed party, plus I desperately needed some time w/ her (even though she is moving down to me in 2 weeks!).  So I hoped on the LIRR to Penn Sta. and from Penn I took the Amtrack, first time using Amtrack and I loved it!

   I did plan to run while I was there since she had to work during the day and I would need to occupy myself.  But the plan was just to run for enjoyment and stress relief, I didn't take my Garmin because I didn't want to worry about time or distance.  I didn't even take a stopwatch.  

And then on the drive from the station to her apt. I saw. . . HILLS!

Duhh it is Upstate NY, I should have realized there would be hills beforehand.  

I could not, NOT take this opportunity from some kick ass hill training :D

My bf Dales pointed me in the direction of the steepest hill and I was off.
6 x Sprints up this baby!!

     I, of course, regretted not having my Garmin to get the distance and even more importantly the elevation.  I couldn't even time it, but I estimated from my music that it took me about a minute each time.  I just focused on giving max effort each time and I felt completely DONE at the top of every one. So regardless of knowing time, speed, and elevation, I know I gave it my all and it felt great!

  When I got home I Map My Run-ed the distance and it is about .15 mi long, sounds about right with my 1 minute up estimate.  I'd love to know the elevation but Cest La Vie.

  On the way down I slow jogged the top half and then walked the steeper bottom half.

  The view on the way down wasn't too shabby:

Post workout high might be an understatement for how I felt afterwards.

I celebrated later with short shorts, high heels and tri-colored frozen margaritas :D
  I was trying to run out of the picture frame which is why I look completely awkward, I should really start embracing the candid shots instead of getting caught in my, "OMG, no pictures!" pose.

15 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Nice job on that hill--steep!
Loving those tri-colored margaritas so much!
:)

Jill said...

That is one monster hill....6 of them? You rock!!! I think I just started salivating seeing that margarita!

Run with Jess said...

Wow - you rocked the HILL work!! I was just thinking about hills today, need to add more of that in my routine...

Rachelle Wardle said...

Love it! You are so awesome for running hills, and even more awesome for celebrating with margaritas. My type of girl. :):)

Diet Chic ~ Jury said...

wow, that hill looks killer! and the margarita yum!

Black Knight said...

As a friend of mine used to say: "that is not a hill but a tree to climb up"

Julie said...

Great job on the hill! That drink looks delicious!

Mamarunsbarefoot said...

Very cool!!!!! Great looking hill and beautiful drink! Happy Mothers day!!!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Love the hills!

coach dion said...

If there is a hill it has to be run...

Laura Frey said...

that is so awesome! I do the same thing with heels and shorts post ass-kicking run. The good ol calves look pretty at that point!

Melissa said...

ahhh that hill is intimidating!! hill training is the worst while you're doing it...but totally rocks afterwards!! awesome job girl!

Chad said...

It's nice when a woman doesn't run away from a camera.

Nelly said...

Wow, that hill looks legit! Nice work on them!

Stefanie D. said...

Holy cow! Those are some steep hills!! Good job!