Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Couldn't Leave Without. . .

    Documenting my killer 11 mile treadmill run.  I have a love/hate with the mill; I love the peace and solitude of running alone in my house and that I can just turn it on a go as far as I would like, but I struggle with keeping a pace I could easily maintain outside.

   With the treadmill I usually have to put pace goals aside because somehow even though I am running slower, it always makes faster paces seem easier when I get outside (If that makes sense?)   I set out yesterday to get 10 miles done before I left, so I could leave confident that I would survive my half  in 12 days.  I plan to run some in Disney, but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting any long runs in.

  Guidelines for getting through: ( I have to tell myself these beforehand so I don't get frustrated with running slower/ getting my butt kicked by the treadmill)
* It is okay to run slower (which also applies to the fact it was a long run)
* It is okay to take a few short breaks (With treadmill long runs I have to stop at times for 30-60 seconds and then continue on.  All I cared about yesterday was getting the mileage in)

  With those in place I knocked those 11 miles out of the park :D  Time: 1:41  I kept it mostly at a 6.2-6.5 (9:40- 9:14), but in the later miles I threw in some 8.0 (7:30).  I was going to stop at 10, but then thought why not just go for 1 more :)


And with that I am out of here

Lemme know if I miss anything monumental while I'm gone :D

17 comments:

Laura Frey said...

Have a great trip! I usually stay at the polynesian and you can run along the lake there. It's so pretty!!

And yes, treadmill = slow mo for me too. I get all paranoid I'm gonna fall. I can only handle 8 pace. But it still counts as miles!

Have fun!

RockStarTri said...

Enjoy the MouseHouse. I one time found I walked 9 miles in a day there!

Run with Jess said...

ugh. i hate long runs on the TM!

Julia said...

new follower! awesome job on your TM run...I too have a love/hate relationship with that thing. Have fun on your trip!!

Cynthia said...

Good job on your tm run!
I'm the exact same way. Last week I did an awesome 13.5 miler on the mill, yesterday I struggled to get in 5 miles it.

Rachelle Wardle said...

Good job on the treadmill run, you are awesome! Have so much fun on your trip. I am so excited for you!!!

Jenn @ A Runner's Road said...

Great job on the tm!! I get so bored on it usually. And have fun in the land of Minnie & Mickey!

Neon Blonde Runner said...

Nice treadmill workout, that's impressive. You'd have to chain me to the treadmill to do a long run on it...

Nelly said...

Nice treadmill workout! Have a great time at Disneyworld!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Have a great trip katie!!!

Mike said...

Enjoy the trip.

Chris K said...

11 miles on the mill is not small feat. Except for EMZ. I agree, it always seems faster than what the mill says the pace is.

Happy vacation. Looking forward to the bikini pics.

Adam said...

Amazing run on the treadmill. About 10 miles is my limit, much longer than that and I start to go cross-eyed.

have fun on vaca!

Just_because_today said...

that's the right way to do it, go slow and then go faster in the last few miles

Black Knight said...

I hate EVERY run on the dreadmill!

Joshua said...

I've tried everything to make running on the TM bearable. Music, Movies, TV. Nothing works. I try to only do my speed work on them and everything else outside unless it's raining or ridiculously hot (I don't know many people who like to run in the Texas heat either).

runningthedawn.com said...

awesome job on the treadmill! seriously, those are the same rules i give myself when i have a dreadmill run to face.