Friday, April 8, 2011

An Almost Chin-Up and Beach Booty Camp

     As promised I taped my sorta kinda almost chin-up.  I may have underestimated when I said "slight" bend to me arms.  That is a pretty sizable head start I have there.  While I am very happy I've progressed to this stage, it still seems like  I have just as much (or more) work ahead to get those last few inches from dead hang to where I am now.  When I try to pull-up from dead hand I go nowhere.


     This 1/2? 3/4? chin-up takes everything from my arms.  In the video I try for another one after a few minutes rest and I get stuck in the middle.  I was gonna throw in some of my sick dance moves I broke out during recording, but for everyone else's sake I edited them out.  I didn't want anyone getting envious of my skillz (real reason: you'd probably get really embarrassed for me, "poor girl doesn't know she looks like a fool.")



Beach Booty Camp
     Since  thoughts of summer now occupy 50% of my head, I b-stormed the stellar idea of writing up a kick ass bodyweight workout to torture share with my fellow Tobabes (aka Female Tobay guards).  If any of you are reading this: You've been warned :D  You three are going to be my personal training guinea pigs this summer ;)   Everyone else: You can look forward to pictures and a recap of this ass-whooping sometime in June.  Although the pictures might just be me, as it may end up that I do this by myself while everyone else points and laughs at me.

      Anyway I wanted to share the workout with you because you can do it anywhere, it requires no equipment (maybe a int. timer, but a watch can work or you could set reps for each exercise), and it kicks butt!  I chose some of my favorite Bodyrock moves for this, the ones I think are the most fun :D and don't need equip. I also added in some of my other fav moves.  Each move is done for 50 secs with a 10 sec break before the next one, do 2-3 times for a 20-30 minute interval workout.

1) Burpees (of course :D) 
2) Mountain Climbers/ Kick-ups  10/10 (I linked to video at 1:50 were Zuz demonstrates)
6) Alt. Toe Touches (I might tape this soon, but basically lie on your back and raise left arm and right leg to touch your toe in the middle then switch)
7) Jumping Lunge/ Mountain Climber  (Do 2 jumping lunges, put your hands down and do 2 mountain climbers, back up and do 2 jumping lunges. . .)
9) Blaster Push- Up-  This one and #10 are the 2 moves used in this 4 minute workout, love them both :D
10) Jumper 

  It may take a little homework to figure out some of the moves, but I think it's worth it.  I really tried to pick the ones that are fun even though they are tough :)  Let me now if you try it!

  And I'll be updating when I try this out with girls (and maybe some of the guys will join the fun :)  There maybe a guest post about wanting to kill me :D  I will also bribe hire an unsuspecting bystander official photographer to catch all the action. 
   
Thanks Matty for the Baby Blue Beluga sticker!!

Better Pic:
MattyRunRun.com
He is so cute I feel like I should name him :D

     If you have tried bodyrock workouts, what is your favorite move(s)??

         Can you do a pull-up/chin-up? If not is it something you are working on or plan to work on?

16 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

You are hardcore, thats for sure

Stefanie D. said...

I want to do a pull up so badly!! You are so amazing!! I'm pretty sure I couldn't even get half as far!! You make me want to get by pathetic self super strong so I can do at least one pull up!

Katie said...

Lol Steph it has been a long time coming just for me too get that far. When I do finally get the damn full chin-up I'm going to write post/page with how I did it.

It is not something I ever thought I'd be able to do and I've doubted myself constantly the past few months thinking I would never reach my goal. I'm still not sure if I can get the full chin-up (let alone pull-up), but I'm gonna die trying. Hopefully my case study lol will help fellow weak armed girls achieve the impossible :D

Carrie said...

Amazing chin-up!! :D They are so hard. I don't have a door in my apartment that fits the bar I bought for p90x (sadly), so I've been thinking that once it's warm, I will test myself at the neighbourhood playground. Hardest exercise ever, but I'm so inspired by your success!

Teamarcia said...

That is awesome you're working so hard on pullups because they are not easy.
I can do 3 only because I'm a bit of a brute.

Beth said...

Uh, I couldn't do a pull up to save my life, that really is a problem =/

You introduced me to bodyrock and it seems like something I really need to start doing!

Matty O said...

Trust me, when your body builds up the muscle they are easy :)

It does take time though. Keep up the good work, progress is always reassuring :)

RoseRunner said...

Mountain climbers are my enemy. I love a good plank though. I'm out of practice, sadly, and would probably collapse with the shakes at like 30 seconds at this point...

Joshua said...

Nice job! Doing negative chin ups is a great way to help strengthen the muscles used for doing chin ups. Stand on a chair or step stool to get your chin above the bar (or jump up) and then lower yourself down slowly (about 5 to 7 seconds).

Amanda@runninghood said...

Good job girlie. I love your videos..fun to see into peoples' lives. I can do a few. Maybe 4 but in college I used to be able to do more. I have not tried in a few months because it was hurting my shoulders..I must be getting old. nah.

Small Town Runner said...

great job! I had myself up to 4 recently...or 3 and 3/4. =D But I need a bar at home. The playground isn't very convenient for practicing. :)

Keep it up, you'll be amazed at how fast you progress!!

Neon Blonde Runner said...

Girl, you are WAY close to doing a chin-up than I am!! Nice work :)

Laura Frey said...

You are nailing it! I love that you can run AND do strength training and neither suffer! That is so motivating!

BabyWilt said...

I tried one of their challenges once (burpee & sandbag swing only I used a kettlebell) ..... still haven't recovered properly ;-) She kicks a$$!!!!! Thats a eicked workout you put together there, well done.

BabyWilt said...

*eicked = *wicked* :-)

pseudoally said...

Amazing!! It looks great. I can't even come close...yet.