Thursday, March 17, 2011

Three Things Thursday

  1.  I had an awesome long run today :)  Mid 50's, sunny, partially on trails and decent pace;  8 miles in 1:04:20.  It was my first longer run with the Garmin and my first miles for the cupcake marathon, so I got Garmin Connect running finally.  


Splits:
100:08:061.0008:06
200:07:571.0007:57
300:08:141.0008:14
400:08:061.0008:06
500:07:541.0007:54
600:08:171.0008:17
700:08:091.0008:09
800:07:361.0007:36
900:02:300.3008:21
Average Pace 8:03

   Miles 3&6 were on a trail with lots of roots, that's why they are the slower miles.  Overall the whole run felt great :D  I was pushing it a little for a long run (darn garmin), but I felt strong and confident.  I am experiencing some tummy pains now though : / .  I may not have hydrated enough, as it was finally warm enough to get some sweat on :)

    So I've been thinking about my goals for this upcoming half and trying to think about what I am willing to train for.  Right now I am saying I would like to go sub 1:45.   Possibly if I trained my butt off for the next 5 weeks I could go considerably lower, but for this particular race I am not wanting to put 100% training effort in.  We will see how the next few weeks go, but as most of my spring/summer races will be shorter stuff, I'd prefer to train for maximum performance in those.

It is my first half and I really just want to enjoy it :)

  2.  Yesterday I discovered the easiest, most awesome way to make healthy soft serve at home!  I was on Oh She Glows (which btw Angela just raised over $7,000 for a Japan Disaster Fund. . . in little over a day) and discovered the following amazing and amazingly simple recipe for banana and cherry soft serve (credit also to ChoosingRaw for the initial post).

Ingredients:
Frozen Cherries
Frozen Banana
Thats it!

Step 1: Throw frozen banana in food processor

Step 2: Process
And if you just want banana soft serve, you're done!  
What I did is take half out so I could have some banana and left some in to make Cherry Banana :)

To make Cherry Banana (mostly cherry flavored):

Add Frozen Cherries:

Process on Grind:

Final Product:

With some walnuts for protein and a bit of chocolate just cause:
LOVE.   
I had this today as my post run snack :D

   3. If you have 4 minutes to spare today and want to get your booty kicked, try out yesterday's bodyrock workout:



  And on a final note:  I am a little sad that no one knew what "Jlp" was from (but not that sad, cause there were so many SYTCD and Always Sunny lovers :D) So here is a BIG hint:

Did anyone else see the "Jlp" part? I'm obsessed with how she said that line :D

20 comments:

Victoria Elizabeth said...

Yummy! I am gonna try this one out for sure!

caree said...

wow, I didn't realize banana soft serve was so easy. I need a food processor asap! :)

Jonathan Rohr said...

You're getting real close to that 1 hour mark for the 8 mile. Keep at it, and let us know when you bust through!! =)

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

you are hitting some awesome paces for your first half training. i definitely say go in to it to have fun, less pressure often means an even better race

Julie said...

I love this oh so easy recipe! I make banana all the time and throw in chocolate chips while it's blending. YUM!

Tri-James said...

1:45 is ~8:00 minute pace. Depending on your endurance that should be achievable!

Chantal said...

Banana soft serves!!! They're such an obsession of mine! I'm glad you've discovered them too! Amazing, right?

Also, your time is already fantastic for a first 1/2! I'm sure it's going to be awesome!!!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I thought of your speediness on my tempo today!! You have the sub 1:45 in the bag--you're a natural and are going to kick half mary's!!

Jlp-The Office...I think I remeber that now. Crossword?

Chris K said...

I don't want The Office. Interestingly (or not interestingly) I actually sell paper for a living. Kinda.

Sub 1:45 is a slam dunk. I seriously think you can go sub 1:40.

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

umm yummm I want that soft serve asap! Great run lady, you are going to rock that half!

Melissa Cunningham said...

you totally haveunder 1:45...1:40 is achievable!!!
and great long run btw!!!!!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I came up 55 second short of 1:45 for my first half. Oh so close! Mine was a hilly half so I know it's doable for me. Based on your paces, I think you can certainly do it! Good luck!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

BodyRock definitely does some really intense workouts! I've always liked her videos.

BabyWilt said...

I follow bodyrockers as well but just haven;t figured out how to do their workouts with what I already do on a regular basis, I have tried some of her challenges - think the last one was some crazy burpee challenge, I'm still suffering ;-)

MuncherCruncher said...

I keep wanting to try the frozen banana yogurt thing! Yours looks so good, and I'm going to HAVE to do it now!! xoxoxo

Jill said...

The banana/cherry dish looks AWESOME, I am going to try that (bananas freezing as I type!).

I'm going to try that video, and probably die doing so, but I'm gonna try darnit!

You easily have a 1:45 in you, no doubt!!

Nelly said...

I'm with everyone on here - I think 1:45 will be your "fall back goal" and 1:40 and lower will be what you will likely achieve. Good luck!

And hilarious about Stanford, I was in the same boat, I wasn't smart enough, and wasn't fast enough! But they didn't have an accounting major anyways, so the school wouldn't have worked for me anyways, haha

Mamarunsbarefoot said...

Look how fast you are getting!!!! YAY!!!

Running and living said...

Great run! And I love that dessert!

Jennifer said...

You're so motivated! I love it!

Thanks for the soft serve recipe! I'm for sure bookmarking this!!!! I never saw the post on OSG -- super weird-- I'm sooooo glad you posted this! =)