Saturday, March 12, 2011

Drumroll Please. . .

First let's review my goals going into this race:

   My "A" goal was to break 21.
        But I would be happy with anything under 21:52 which is what I ran in my last 5k on Thanksgiving.  I knew this race was a bit hillier than the last two I've run, but nothing crazy.


So how did I do. . .
21:00.25!!!
Could I get any closer without actually breaking 21?!?

However I am 110% thrilled with this time :D
52 seconds faster then my current PR

6:46 pace

I didn't wear my Garmin because I haven't raced with it yet and I thought it might drive me CRAZY. I didn't even wear a watch and missed my first mile split, but I heard Mile 2 (13:29) and was pretty psched :D  Then Mile 3 was 20:21. 

One regret: I wish I kicked it a little sooner, I still feel like I am right at the threshold of pain and I need to push myself over the edge to really achieve my potential.


Ughh but in the moment it is so crazy hard to push yourself over that edge.


                                            Placing:
                                      Overall - 45 / 604
                                       Female-  6 / 313
                                 Age Group-  2 / 33  

I really consider this shirt green!  
I asked my son and he called it blue-ish green.   
Regardless I was more festive than 95% of people there, I was a little disappointed in the lack of spirit.

Green hair ribbon, it's small, but it's all I had:

The whole race experience today was an absolute BLAST!! :D

Awesome things:
* I saw a bunch of people I ran against in H.S.

* I saw my college XC coach again! (she ran in the Halloween race too) Our times were so close  (13 seconds!) and we talked about doing some long runs together. Maybe an 8 mile tomorrow :)

* The weather was beautiful, 40-ish and SUN!

* While waiting for awards we went to the playground with Nolan.  I did some pull-ups (with a jump) on the monkey bars, AND I was actually able to get across the monkey bars!!  I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THAT BUT NEVER COULD, AGHHH SO AWESOME :)

The boys are really bad race photographers, Nolan insists on playing, so no race pics right now.  Possibly there will be some online.

When we got back home it was so nice and I wanted to run a little more, so I ran while Nol biked next to me.  It was a little stop-and-start-y, he needs to get his biking legs back, but enjoyable nonetheless :)

I am on such a high right now :D 
I may go run some more.
That's all for now, I KNOW you are all anxiously awaiting my time ;)
And I can't wait to see how everyone else's races went!

38 comments:

Megan said...

That is an AMAZING time!! Congrats!!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats

Amanda@runninghood said...

congrats Katie!

JohnP said...

WHOA! Way to go! Congrats!

I wish I could run that fast!!

Julie said...

Great job, Katie!! I think you looked super cute in your "blueish" green outfit :-)

Your time was PHENOMENAL!

Tri-James said...

From a 7:02 pace to 6:45! Awesome.

How do you run a sub-21 5k?

Run a 21:00.25 5k and then pick it up at the end!

Small Town Runner said...

Well done on that speedy 5k!! Nice to have a new PR.
I am thinking that a Garmin might not help that much in a race where you just kind of HOLD ON for dear life :)
Nice festive stuff too! I am not sure I even have a green shirt at all...

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Congrats both on having fun as well as the new PR! Now you've got a whole new time to beat. haha (it never ends)

And that would be awesome to go out and run with your old coach. I've kind of wanted people to run with on occasion, but all my friends are non-runners or very much at different speeds.

Nelly said...

awesome job! enjoy the runners high!

Sounds like the race went perfect!

Did you get any sort of award for finishing 2nd in your age group? That is great!

Once you get used to wearing your garmin on runs, you might get addicted to it like I am now, haha I'm not sure if I could race without it now. I've found that I can run races up to about 14K at 180 heartrate, so during races up to this distance I just find that heartrate effort and keep it right there. The actual pace I'm running really doesn't matter, because that is the max my body can go before it starts getting really tired. Maybe I could ramp up that heartrate to 183 or something for 5Ks, but I'm not sure, haha

Mike said...

Super race. Great job on the PR! I am glad you had a great time.

RockStarTri said...

well done!

Laura Frey said...

Congrats!! That is awesome! The :00 is just cruel. All last spring I kept getting :00's! Ahhhh, but you're kicking it! Good job!!

Melissa Cunningham said...

AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so proud of you!!!!
:)

:)

Run with Jess said...

Great race... and congrats on your new PR! That is incredible! I'm doing a 8K St. Paddy's run in Chicago next weekend... can't wait!

Molly said...

that's fantastic! Congrats!

~Jessica~ said...

Wow! What an amazing time. You're a running superstar and you look fabulous.

Congratulations!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Awesome job!!! I can't seem to break 24! So kudos to you!

BabyWilt said...

A well deserved high, what an amazing time, well done :-)

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Congrats on the bling!!!

Cynthia said...

AWESOME Katie!! You rocked it!

I know just what you mean about the threshold of pain. I know I need to push myself harder!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Great job!!

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

I wasn't aware that the average races kept track of hundredths of seconds. I'll bet your asking yourself what you could've done differently to shave of ¼ of a second. One marathon before I ever broke 4 hours, I ran in 4:00:14. That's about ½ second/mile I needed to break 4 hours.

Shannon said...

Amazing job congrats on the PR!

Chelle said...

Wicked time babe WOOT WOOT!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Great Job!!! That's awesome, and amazing how much faster you've gotten! All of your hard work is paying off! Awesome!

coach dion said...

Nice run, what is the next PR to go?
we want all of them to go this year...

Kate said...

Awesome job! Seriously! We have the same 5k goal except I am not in speedy shape right now. Haven't been able to even do a speed workout since the marathon :( So sad.

You have a lot to be proud of today!!!

Chris K said...

Not bad. Kidding. You killed it. 1/4 of a second away too! Crazy. Your finishing stats were awesome. 6th out of 313 is nuts. Congrats on a great race Katie.

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

wow, you ROCK!!! congrats, that is awesome :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

That is such an amazing time Katie!!!! Great job and I am so happy you are thrilled too!

Love your green!

Doug said...

That's an awesome time and you took a lot off from your previous PR. Congrats!

The Laminator said...

Congrats on your PR!

Heidi said...

WOW Congrats on your PR. That's AWESOME!!!! I'm so happy for you. You were SO close to breaking that A goal. In fact, I;d make them recheck their timers. I'm betting they were out by 0.26 seconds!!! HAHAHAHAHA You'll be there soon.

Dash said...

Fantastic!! Congratulations, you will get those .26 seconds next time! All your hard work has paid off!

Rae said...

Awesome job! You are FAST!

Stefanie D. said...

Nice job on your race!! You did so great! You killed it!

Adam said...

Congrats congrats!! You were close enough in my book. 21:00!! But, I understand what you mean about wanting to be UNDER 21. Besides, your real goal is 20, right?

Yeah, i've found that with 5Ks, If I don't hurt BAD for the last half mile or more, I'm not pushing hard enough. Next time!!

BTW - I'm with the kiddo.... Totally blue :)

Diet Chic ~ Jury said...

Woohoo!!! that's such an awesome time. congrats. I love the outfit. you're a rockstar.