Sunday, March 6, 2011

Avocado Tuna Lettuce Boats

   A few people have asked how I eat, especially as I am trying to lose the last few stubborn pounds.  I don't follow any specific diet and I don't ban any foods.  Everything is allowed on my plan, but I steer towards high fiber, high nutrient foods that fill me up without a ton of calories. Lots and lots of veg!!  I get most of my protein from lean white meats (turkey & chicken), fish, beans and nuts.  I do not eat "perfectly" (whatever that means) and I have some chocolate on an almost daily basis.

    When I am eating for weight loss I usually aim for 1,400/1,500 cals a day, with some days a little less and some a little more.  I am not a nutritionist/dietician and I can't tell you what you may need in order to maintain/lose weight, but I have found that this range works for me.  I am not currently training for a marathon and my half marathon mileage is still relatively low, when I reach goal weight and/or increase my training volume for upcoming races I will adjust my intake accordingly.  Also I like to keep it simple.

   Below is what I had for dinner last night. It was amazing, and super filling even though it only had around 300 calories.  It also included 26g of protien from the tuna (over half my dv), healthy fats from the avocado and approx. 8g of fiber from all the veg :)
    
 Avocado Tuna Lettuce Boats

So, So Simple and Sooo Good!!
I could eat this every night.

What I used: 
*Half an Avocado
*Fresh Chopped Salsa (lots!)
*1 Can of Solid White Albacore Tuna
*2 Large Lettuce Leaves


Mix the first three ingredients together and then generously pile on lettuce leaves.


I used this salsa from Stop N Shop:



    Ingredients:  Tomato, Cucumber, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Red Onion, Cilantro, Lime Juice, Tomato Juice, Garlic, Pablano Pepper, Serrano Pepper, Salt.

                                                It is amazing!! 
                                                                    
    
 * I will  try to include some more meal recipes if I make anything worthwhile.  I eat the same thing for breakfast almost everyday: High fiber English Muffin w/ PB, Banana slices, and Gala apple slices (and sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon.)  I never get bored with this :)


    What is one (or more if you'd like :) food you could/do eat everyday?  Sweet Potatoes, Avocados, and I am beginning to really enjoy Butternut Squash.

18 comments:

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

mmmm sweet potatoes! but greek yogurt is a food I would and do eat every day :)

Michelle said...

I love sweet potatoes and avocados! Yum! The lettuce boats look delicious, I might have to try it! Hope you're having a great weekend! :)

Run with Jess said...

OMG - those look super yummy! I'm going to the store today to get an avacado and trying it out. Thanks!

I eat turkey, cuc, provolone sandwich almost everyday.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Hummus every day but just a little!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Thanks for the recipe! It looks really great!

Julie said...

The avocado tuna boats look so good and healthy! I am sure with how good that you eat, those last few pounds will come off in no time. I can't beleive how much my food intake increased when I was training for my first marathon! With the extra miles added there was the absolute need for higher calories:)

Take care! Hugs!

Mike said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it this Lenten season.

Keelie Sheridan said...

THAT IS MY FAVORITE SALSA! Aggghh! I'm so jealous! My Stop & Shop stopped carrying it! :(

Great post!


xoxo

Keelie

Faith @ lovelyascharged said...

Mmm, breakfasts like that are so simple and yummy. I could probably do peanut butter or avocados every day myself!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

This is the perfect recipe for me!! 4 ingredients! What type of tuna do you use???

Laura Frey said...

I don't even like tuna but those looked delish!!! And I love that salsa! I eat english muffins with jam throughout the day. Love them!

Geek 3000 said...

Man I am sooo there with you! I'm on the last 10-ish pounds and it is soo hard to eat enough for workout energy but not so much to stop losing a little! I started reading your blog because I've begun running over the past few months and because of the bikini part! One of my goals is to get ready for a roller derby convention in Las Vegas (I'm a referee). It's extremely physically intensive, skating up to 8 hours a day, and at the end there is a 24 hour pool party! And I have the fancy two piece for it! Good luck and love your blog!

Melissa Cunningham said...

oh yummmm.
and so simple!
my daily food choice...
sweet taters!
oh, and if i could....gummi bears!

:)

coach dion said...

Can you come and cook for me?

~Jessica~ said...

Wow, I wish I could be as disciplined as you are: I struggle to stick to double that amount!

Your avo/tuna lettuce boats look so tasty ~ tuna and greek yoghurt are the only two non-vegan foods that I miss, because there doesn't seem to be a decent vegan equivalent for either.

Hmm, I tend to eat some kind of nut butter every day. Or peanut flour. Oh, and chocolate in some form, obviously.

xxx

Rose said...

Think your tuna boat will be making an appearance in my dinner menu this week! YUM.

Though, if you're trying to build muscle, 50g of protein a day might not be enough.

Stephanie said...

Those boats look delicious. I'm with you...sweet potatoes and avocados! :) Love the arm hanging in the above post. I need to just KEEP my bar on the door frame prompting me to do more of those!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

1,400/1,500 calories. Hmmm... Sounds like a good breakfast. haha Just playing!

Those wraps look really good. I may very well give that a try. And I've had that exact salsa from Stop & Shop - it ROCKS!!! It's so much better than any other I've had.

Things I could eat every day: bananas with peanut butter, grapes, strawberries, celery with pb or bleu cheese, cheese, eggplant, grilled asparagus, fish, milk, yogurt, and pumpkin pie.