Friday, February 25, 2011

Lessons (3k Race Report)

      Blogging is great and all, but  reporting back that you did not meet your goal is a little sad :(

  I really wasn't even  close, I didn't see my exact time because I was too busy sprinting it in and then dying, but it was well over 12 minutes.  Around 12:30 I think which is 1:15 ish over my goal. Official time isn't posted yet.

   I went out too fast, with an 80 sec 400 (5:20 pace), but it felt really easy at the time so I just went with it.  And then all moisture was sucked from my mouth and throat.  No joke that place is DRY.  I pretty much could not swallow.  I guess 9 years caused me to forget this little detail, along with what it takes to run a low-11 3k.

    I severely underestimated what it took to run 6 min pace for 2 miles and overestimated what kind of shape I was in.  Going in to this race I really had no idea what I could accomplish, so I shot for the moon and landed among the stars :)  My pace ended up being (I'm not sure exactly yet) around 6:30-6:40 and I'm not gonna cry about that.

  I'm considering it very productive training for my sub 20 5k :)

 And I gave possibly above 110%, given I could not keep anything down for the rest of the night.  I got sick immediately after and possibly not the greatest idea we stopped at a restaurant on the way to the train and well . . .


  I've also been hacking up a lung since I crossed the finish line and feel like I have Strepp throat. (from the dryness) 


Really, I thought that this was a good idea??


  :D I am happy I did it though, the whole atmosphere was fun and it is good to know where I am physically, how much work I have to do and how much harder I am going to have to work for it.  I think I wanted it to come easy.  


 As they say, 
"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare."


On a happy note, I found 15$ on the floor in Penn Station which covered my race entry :)

Some Pics:
Start


All the running pics are blurry, I'm too fast for the camera ;)

I'm leading here, but I didn't win.  Also I seeded myself in the 3rd heat.  The winner in the first heat ran LOW 10 minutes and made it look straight up EASY.  Most of the competitors were local college runners.

It was really cool just being here again.

Wall of Sneakers

   Some Lessons:
~Matt took a video, I am still swinging my arms across my body way too much (I did this in HS too).
~ I put too much pressure on my self;  goals are good, giving yourself anxiety for a week is not.
~ I do however want to achieve my goals so better training is needed, I think the warmer weather should help me get on my "A" game on :)

Some Music:
   I only remember one song from my race and then a few other songs during the night that I though were good songs to run to.

During my race: "Don't You Want Me"- Human League
Other Songs: "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"- Cyndi Lauper
                      "Summer of '69"- Bryan Adams
                      "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"- Wham -I would have loved to run to this one :D
                       "Always Something There to Remind Me"- Naked Eyes

    There were a bunch more and I can't even think of them right now, plus we didn't stay for the whole thing. 

  And there you have it, not quite the race report I wanted, but still a great night. 

   Now if I could get rid of this killer sore throat, hacking and stomach ache (still 12 + hours later) I'd be even happier.

27 comments:

Mamarunsbarefoot said...

Personally I HATE 5ks!! I think you really need to know how and when to push yourself in them even more so than a marathon.

GeorgiaSnail said...

congrats on a great race and putting up an amazing time!

Dash said...

I think you did awesome! Congratulations!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

You still amaze me with your time!! I think you have incredible speed...and this WILL totally help you for your 5k!

Julie said...

You are FANTASTIC!! I can't imagine running close to your "slow" times, so you are my hero for so many different things that you did in this race - 1) DOING IT!
2) SO SPEEDY!
3) Following through!!!!

How many people just talk the talk, but YOU, girl, you walked the walk (or ran the run :-)

Great job!

Tri-James said...

The sorter the race the more it hurts. You now have a benchmark. A line in the sand if you will.

Question: How do you run a sub-20 minute 5k?

Ansewer: Run a 20:15 and then work really really hard.

Go get it.

Cynthia said...

I think you totally did AMAZING!
You are speedy!!

Rose said...

If you gave it your all, it was still a success, even if you didn't hit your goal.

Melissa Cunningham said...

agrreing with tri-james....
even though you didnt meet your goal time,you did get out there and race,and every race prepares you for the next.
that sub 20 5k is right around the corner!!!!

i have a 5k coming up in march and i am already nervous!
although i want 20 or below,i will settle for 21 9but nothing more!0

anyways,GREAT JOB,proud of ya and i do hope that belly ache and throat feel better soon!
*hugs*

Stephanie said...

Still extremely impressive! Ryan attempted his fastest mile the other night. Goal was 4:50 or under and he ended up with a 5:50. He was disappointed but not hard on himself. Motivated to try again. :) He hacked all.night.long that night too. :)

RockStarTri said...

Now you know where you are at and you can build from there. Keep this in mind with the sub20( or any big goal): "A goal without a plan is just a wish." Since you know where you are and know where you want to be, chart a course and follow it.

You got this.

Jeff - DangleTheCarrot said...

Feeling for you on the hacking, yuk!

Just keep on working and you'll get it. Once the weather breaks you'll really be able to focus yout training.

Nelly said...

I'm with Tri James as well, the shorter the race, the more intense paid you are in!

Considering it was your first race back in a long time, it is totally understandable that you went out a bit fast - a 1:20 first lap in a 3K race is really fast! Any idea as to what your last 2 laps were?

Sounds like it went pretty well, I don't think you underestimated the shape you were in. Running on an indoor track is definitely slower than running on an outdoor track (or in a straight line outdoors) because of all the constant turning. So that might have something to do with it too.

You will get it done!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I'm with Tri-James and everyone else who have already thrown in their two cents.

First, you went and raced. Who cares where you placed, you did it and didn't quit. Congrats to you!

Second, you felt good and (pun fully intended) ran with it. From all the training you've had, you know that that's what you should do. You simply didn't have the endurance built to keep it up. Now you know what to work on. But you weren't afraid to do what you knew was right. Congrats!

Lastly, you have finally set a bar to which you can compare from now on with your future races and training; a very useful tool.

All around, congratulations! Focus on the fact that you've finally gotten back into it. PRs will come in time.

TRI714 said...

chin up blondie, you raced and you are fast. Live and learn right.

Rose said...

If I tried to drink during the 24 hour run I'd end up passed out somewhere. I d NOT handle my booze well.

Kittee said...

I think you did an amazing job... Thumbs Up to you!!!

I have all those songs on my I-pod.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

i agree while it's great the blog makes you accountable sometimes it stinks...until you get all the wonderful feedback that it's just one race and look at how much you learned!!

Hope that throat feels better

Caroline said...

for the throat: BRAGGS apple cider vinegar in water, nasty but it helps, take honey if you cannot stand the taste.

the race: you went. you finished. you were fast. good job

"I put too much pressure on my self; goals are good, giving yourself anxiety for a week is not." This from you and it is true!

Caroline said...

about the blogging and reporting that you did not meet your goal, I think here is the best place to report that kind of thing because people understand where you are coming from. they have been there. they know how you feel as oppose to non running friends. For me it is like that. Here I get more support and understanding when things go great and when they go not so great!

Stephanie said...

Last concert I went to=Pat Benatar. You better believe We Belong is headed to my list sometime. :)

Austin said...

"I don't want to win unless I know I've done my best, and the only way I know how to do that is to run out front, flat out until I have nothing left. Winning any other way is chicken-shit. " -Pre in Without Limits

Congrats on a great run.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Katie, I'm so proud of you! Not only for you going out and shooting for the moon but your reflection and what you have learned from your experience. Way to go! Faster than I would have probably run it. Or maybe around a similar time. I ran repeat miles tonight and I remembered just why it is so darn hard to break 20 in the 5k...I've never done it and I tried for 8 years. I despise 5ks. Ha! I always went out too fast too! My first mile was sometimes a 5:50/5:55 and then my last mile would be like a 7:30...good sign that I had no business starting that fast! I never did get the hang of those 5ks. I'd rather run a sub7 to 7 min mile pace for 13 miles than race a 5k any day!

So good job Katie. You'll get it next time. I'm so impressed that you went out there and did this! Hope you're throat feels better. xo

Shannon said...

Okay, the fact that you were able to keep up a sub-7 minute mile astounds me!

And now that you've gotten that "first race" out of the way you have a better idea of where you are and can work even harder toward where you WANT to be. You can SO reach your goals if you have enough confidence/belief in yourself!

RoseRunner said...

Sounds to me like you are straight-up sick! not just the dry track.

Your form looks great in the pics, but it's always good to learn from races, and now you'll be able to work on those arms.

The wall of sneakers is rad.

Chris K said...

I think that was a great race report. While disapointing, you give it your all, left everything on the track, so how bummed can you be, right?

I think you have the perfect attitude. Pre and post race (except the stressing part before the race).

Why not aim for the stars too?

Matty O said...

good job!

Take the time now to fix your form and go slower to make sure it's hammered in your head. The sooner the better/easier :)

Also if you hit every goal you set, then you aren't setting the bar high enough :) (personal opinion).

I often fail before I succeed, it adds fuel to the fire if you ask me.

Keep up the good work and the structured workouts.