Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Winter Wonderland

    Inspired by all you brave souls running around in the snow, I decided to stop being a wimp and give it a try.  I had a blast!! I ran around my block (1mi) 3 times, the footprints in the pic below are mine from the 1st lap, I took this pic on the 2nd lap.  It was so peaceful and carefree. 

.

   I really, truly enjoyed every second of this run.  I took it slow, stopped for some pics and I ran without my music which I NEVER do.  I won't run in below 30 temps, but below 30 and snow. . . Bring It On :D  It was actually 33°, but felt like 25° (according to weather.com).  I was bundled up and having so much fun that I never felt cold, except my face a bit :)   Running in the snow may be my new favorite thing (which is good because more is coming!)


  Before my run I did the 155 Burpees/200 One Armed Kettlebell Swings workout again.  So painful while you're doing it, such an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you've completed it!  It was just as hard this time around and again I wanted to quit after pretty much every burpee, but I endured :) and I beat my time by over a minute!!  
          
         Last time~ 26:35   This time~ 25:26    
       
Crazy Melissa did this workout in 15:37!! Mel you are a machine!

    My legs truly feel stronger from doing these.  On my incline and interval runs my legs feel great, not tired at all, it's mainly the gut busting in my stomach that I have to work through.  My legs used to feel dead on 12 % inclines, I suppose it is a combination of everything I've been doing incline running, stair running, burpees, KB swings  etc.  But I think the burpees are a big part of it.

  Stay tuned because the awesome and inspiring Andrew at Running Man Wannabe has devised a little Blogger Burpee contest and I'm helping out :D  Beyond Excited!

  Super salad after my run:


I made it myself, and prepared it in the spring mix container since I was finishing off the rest of it.  Onions, tomatoes, pepper, avocado, a little turkey, some mozzarella, it was pure heaven.

I am in love with this day :)

18 comments:

J and A said...

I've done that workout too from Zuzana, love it and hate it a lot! Feels great when done though. Good work going for a run in the snow!

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit said...

I enjoy running in the snow, too, except for the end when I get pelted with snowballs by my daughter Pisa and her pals. Grrrrr!

Melissa Cunningham said...

sounds like a fun run!
and congrats on the workout a minute faster! (oh and thanks for the shout out! :))

i dont think my legs will ever feel good at 12% incline...i used to love hill work and in college my XC coach would do most of our hard practices in the mountains....literally,up mountains (NC is full of em!)
we did speed on hills so we would be fast on flats...
now,i have a love/hate relationship with hills...
:)
anyways,keep on keepin on with your bad blurpee machine self!!!

Rose said...

How pretty!

Chelle said...

Nice time on the 155/200 girl!! I'm definitely going to do that workout again next week.

The snow looks so pretty! I STILL haven't seen snow yet! :D

TRI714 said...

sounds great. Im hungry right and that salad is killing me. Winter or summer I like your tree lined street.

Julie said...

Katie ~ I'm so glad you decided on the 1/2!!! You are going to rock it! ROCK. IT!

Detroit Runner said...

Great job getting out there. See...it doesn't seem so bad, huh? You should come hang out with me, I'll toughen you up. Haha!

Beth said...

I LOVE running in the snow, it looked so peaceful!

coach dion said...

Maybe one day I'll get to run in snow again... it dosn't snow here and only in a race a couple of years ago was I like enough to run in snow and it was fun.

Is that ice on your head, and do you have a hot chocolate after your run I would...

Matty O said...

Yeah... welcome to my world haha. More snow today :)

Shannon said...

Wow, your run may not have been as long as mine, but I didn't do a ton of burpees before! Great run and workout!

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

great job running in the snow! It can be kind of invigorating right? better than dealing with the treadmill all the time! :)

the dawn said...

running in snow is so fun!!! as long as you're not going for speed, its downright fabulous! i just hate it when i feel like i'm going to loose my footing all the time. that usually only happens after the snowplows have come through and turned the roads into packed snow...not fun. but the peace and quiet during a snowy run cannot be matched!

Andrew Opala said...

Your running path looks like it's from a fairy tale, and you look like a snow princess, but since I'm married I'll take the Salad home! ;)

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

thats awesome! I would have been a wimp and put of a billion layers. Burpeers are FOREVER! hehe.
LC

Stacie said...

It's so beautiful where you are! What a great view for running.

Daniel said...

I love running in the snow! Im glad you had fun doing it as well. I really like the pics