Friday, January 28, 2011

Burpee Contest and Demo

    Andrew at Running Man Wannabe had the brilliant idea of hosting a Burpee Contest and has enlisted my help in demonstrating and judging.  I know Zuzana was his first choice, but she declined his offer so I was the next best thing :D

   I loved the idea of a Burpee contest because so many of us are talking about working on our core and doing pylometric exercises to improve our running.  Burpees are a great way to do this, they work the whole body and get your heart rate going as well.

     We chose to make them Push-up Burpees because first of all that is the only way I do them and second, it is a much better full body/ core workout this way.  In my demo video I've shown how you can do the push-ups on your knees if you can't do many full push-ups yet.

   In no way do I think my form is perfect, however I do think it is pretty good and I will continue to work towards improving it (mainly I think my end jump needs a little work.)  I only started getting serious about adding Burpees about 2 weeks ago.  I had done them before that but not to the extent that I am right now.

    Burpee Movement~ Squat- Place your hands on the floor- Jump your legs back- Perform a push-up- Jump your legs back in- Hop up.


     Some people like to drop right into their push-up as they kick their feet out and then push-up as they jump their feet back in.  These are a little tougher/more advanced, but feel free to do it this way if you'd like :)


     In my demo video I show: 1- Single Slow Burpee, 2- Single Knee Push-Up Burpee, 3- Three Regular Burpees, 4- Three Burpees With a Wider Stance Throughout (this makes the push-up a bit easier, and the whole movement smoother)



 The blankets covering my windows are only there so that I could get a decent video, the sunlight was warping things :D

    So head on over to Running Man Wannabe and check out his post on the rules and how to enter.  The basics: As many Burpees as you can complete in 2 minutes then post your results (and/or video links) on the results page.  If you want to video them and not show the world you can email your video to either of us :)  You can attempt this as many times as you'd like until February 16th.

  I will be posting my 2 minutes of Burpees as soon as I make an attempt :D


  I think I've covered everything, but if you have any questions feel free to ask below :)


  More proof that Burpees rock~ Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs loves them.

18 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I read that you crazy crossfitters do a mile of blurpees on your birthday, thats crazy

Matty O said...

Debating the contest. Great demo video :) I like that you had to explain the "curtains" because YOU KNOW there is one smart ass out there just waiting to pounce all over that fact haha.

Have a good weekend.

Katie said...

That is pretty crazy, but I don't Crossfit :) I've thought about it, but I prefer to make up my own workouts based on what I like and what works for me. My new Burpee obsession has come about due to Zuzana and her BodyRock.tv workouts.

I always knew they were a good workout, but now I'm convinced.

Plus who could argue with Mike Rowe?

Julie said...

Hi Katie,
Wow! Way to go and make it look so easy! I used to be so good at doing those babies...not so much anymore:)

Happy Friday! Enjoy the weekend Lady!

Small Town Runner said...

Another thing I have not been doing, but should. :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Love/hate burpees but so good for you!

Great video and instruction!

Melissa Cunningham said...

great demo!!!
and.....
im in!!!!
:)

Danielle said...

You make it look so easy!!

Rose said...

This sounds like crooked fun. I'll probably see how many I can do before signing up, so I don't embarrass myself.

Andrew Opala said...

There's a prize for last :)

We have video submissions until Feb 5 on your site and Feb 16th on mine? Could it have been a typo or are you away after the 5th? If so we can stretch out the contest a bit until you get back.

MuncherCruncher said...

Well done girl! I love burpees, even though they make me want to cry. I like to do them with 10 or 15 lb dumbbells in my hands, (and then doing the pushups on top of the DB) to increase the intensity. A great part of a circuit workout!!

Katie said...

ooops its a typo Opie :D

Wow MuncherCruncher I didn't even think about increasing there intensity! They are intense enough or me already, I might die with extra weight, but I'm intrigued!

Thank you all :)

Chris K said...

I may be friends with Kovas, but that doesn't mean I can't compete against him and tease him. How many burpees would I have to spot him to make it fair? Those look kinda hard core, but, then again, so am I.

Black Knight said...

Great demo, I am in.

Dash said...

Wow, I'll have to work on my coordination skills!

~Jessica~ said...

Great form on the burpees! They're my favourite 'love to hate' exercise because I feel so strong when I do them but after a while you realise exactly how much of a killer they are. I am in awe of your burpee skills!

And am I the only one that finds 'burpee' to be a strange name *titters*?

Hope you're having a great week-end.

xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie!
I love reading your blog. Burpees are awesome, soo hard but great. I was first introduced to them in the military years ago. Just wanted to say it might help you to look forward when you do the push ups. Just a suggestion it helped me a long time ago with my overall form. Keep up the great work!
- Nicole

Katie said...

Thanks Nicole! I have definitely noticed that when I record my push-ups and it is something I try to focus on. For some reason they feel harder when I look forward ? But I know it is good form that way so I'm gonna keep at it. Thanks for reminding me :)