Friday, January 14, 2011

Bikini Body Move #6- Break Dance Push-Ups!

   This is a move that I just learned from my new obsession Zuzanna (total girl crush, as if you couldn't tell, I think she has been in my last 10 posts :D)

    They are awesome, exhausting, fun, challenging ALL at the same time!!

    Regular push-ups can get kinda boring sometimes, and this move brings a new level of excitement to them.  I started doing these about a week ago and I think I have thrown some into my daily routine everyday since then.  I've found they're a good way to get my energy levels back up again even if they initially make me collapse in a heap on my rug.

 Demo: (Sorry guys, no Zuz today :p)


Song~ "United State of Pop 2009: Blame It on the Pop" by DJ Earworm (all of his mash-ups are free on iTunes!)

  As demo-ed in the video
  1) Start with your stomach facing up (abs engaged), butt lifted of the ground, supporting your weight with your hands and feet
  2) Decide on which side you want to do the push up and which leg is staying on the ground. Then slide the other leg under and flip over into a one leg plank.
  3) From the plank position do a one leg push up keeping your core tight.
  4) Flip back over and repeat on the next side :D 


Most Importantly, Have Fun!!


    One of her workouts ended with 20 of these and I could barely keep my butt of the ground for the last few.

      I am on a mission to get rockstar arms!  When you're a runner the lower body is pretty much taken care of :), but I've never been happy with my arms.  I've put in efforts to tone them up a few times, but I think they were a little half-booty-ed ;)  I thought it was enough to just do 50 push-ups/ 3 days a week and maybe for some it is, but my arm muscles don't work that way.

    So now besides the 100 push-up program, I'm also throwing in LOTS of Break Dance Push-ups,  Assisted Pull-Ups of course (I've been doing these, but now I'm doing MORE!  I did about 25 yesterday), Dips (I'm on again, off again with these), plus the bodyrock.tv workouts include lots of other fun arm moves.  I also do some arm lifts with my Kettlebell and swimming for tri-training should help as well.

10 comments:

J and A said...

Love those too. I also have a crush! Love kettlebells also. :)

gmontalvo13 said...

love this! saw this post recently and loved it as well "I don't wake up and run to give me that extra boost of energy. I don't spend hours at the gym to relieve stress. And I didn't start taking yoga classes to spend even more time with my friends. The truth? I want to look good naked. Doesn't everybody?" ~Nike

Abby said...

I like these, I will definitely have to try them. I used to watch some of her stuff, she does have some good stuff!

Mamarunsbarefoot said...

Good stuff!!!

the dawn said...

i seriously can't even imagine doing one of those! you are a rockstar and my hero!

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

those are my favorite. Zuzan is the master at that, right? I am pretty sure you conquered it too!
Such good hard fun.
LC

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

DANG GIRL! Fitness model is in your future!

Oh, and I received a supper awesome package today!! Striped knee socks, yes!!! Thank you Katie!!

JohnP said...

Gurl crushes are hawt.

Oh that vid is way better than Zuz.

That's way more than what I could ever do. One day I'll actually get around to eliminating this pillsbury dough boy core. Just not today... :)

Katie said...

Thanks All!!

They are definitely good stuff!

Dawn~ You could totally do one and more, you can do regular push-ups or knee ones if you have too :)

Jess~ Yaayyy and Thanks :D

Haha Gmont, LOVE IT!

JohnP~ You always amuse me :) No day but today :p

april said...

Just found your blog. Love the pushups! After I have my 2nd baby I am so going to try those! Looks like a fun way to do pushups.