Friday, December 10, 2010

More Bike Help Needed. . .

For all of you who know much more about bikes than I do, your input is much appreciated. . .

I've narrowed it down to two bikes that I believe are decent and are in my price range.  The one I really want is about $200 more, but I don't know if this is justifiable in terms of what each bike provides.

The Mercier Elle:

   This bike is going for $600 (down from a list price of $1600 according to the site), and the awesome thing about bikesdirect.com is there is no tax and no shipping cost so it is just straight up $600.



Description from BikesDirect.com:
"The Elle will go anywhere and do just about anything a road rider could want. The Elle is great for those in hilly country, new riders or long distance events. The bike is a dream to ride with that triple providing a go-anywhere gear range, advanced Aluminum frame and Carbon Fork cushioning the ride. Race quality Shimano 105 derailleurs, Shimano Triple STI shifters and comfy Carbon Fiber forks and Aero competition wheels that are proportionately sized. All models have 700c wheels for easier pedaling."



   This one retails for $800, but it would probably end up being more than that with tax.  This is the one that I really want right now, but I don't know if that is only because it is "prettier" and it is a Felt.   I don't know if it is a better bike than the Elle because I do not know what makes a better bike.


Description from feltbicycles.com:
"Felt’s FitWoman custom-butted and shaped Superlite aluminum frame tubing forms the heart of this lightweight, stiff performance road bike that’s built specifically for female proportions. A carbon fiber fork and seatpost add a smooth ride quality, while a handlebar and a saddle designed just for women create a ride quality that’s both precise and comfortable."


   
 What I would like to know:
Which bike would you suggest and why?  or neither if you think they're both awful  and have a better suggestion :p

     I'm looking to find out if I can justify the higher price tag (I know it's not all that much more, but if the Elle is actually the better bike, I'd rather not spend the extra)  Also this is actually a combined Christmas present between family and Matt and I'd like to be able to tell Matt why it is worth it to go for the Felt (if that is the case.)  

15 comments:

Andrew Opala said...

Wow - I like prices, where are they manufactured?

I'm a destroyer of equipment, and when I see a Made in China I usually go for the North American, Mexican or German made stuff. That is also usually more expensive.

I mangle the crap out of everything ... I'm a big guy.

Diet Chic ~ Jury said...

I´m with you on this one, I don´t know much about bikes but I love the look of the Felt! I´ll def come back to check what other more knowledgeable bloggers have to say (for future reference)

Emz said...

which ever one you can wear pasties on.

Renea said...

WoW both are really nice.. This what I am getting for Christmas.. NOT these bikes..lol A bit out my price range and me and my husband are getting one. Eventually we will want a nice one but for now we are going with beach cruisers..Good luck picking one out. Sorry I can't help you decide..I just know NOTHING about bikes..( :

Patrick Mahoney said...

The Mercier has a better component set and though I didn't spend hours comparing (sorry) frame composition, etc. they are both about the same. So I'd go with the Mercier over the Felt. It also looks like the Mercier is a triple, which means you have more gears which will make climbing easier.

TRI714 said...

What he said. No really, exactly what he said.

Jason said...

I have to run quickly, but what Patrick said looks to be correct in terms of the climbing. More gears = easier....

Detroit Runner said...

I like them both. If you saw my 20 year old bike, you'd understand! LOL.

JohnP said...

To be honest, neither. Bike pricing is very competitive and you can find a bike at your local bike shop(lbs) for close to the best price on the internet.
An LBS can fit you properly so it is comfortable and they will give free tuneups for a year after purchase. You will have lots of quesitons, they will have lots of answers. It sounds like you'll need the support.
As far as those two bikes go, the Felt is significantly better. Buy a good frame, overlook the parts for the most part because the differences in 'quality of shifting' will not be noticed by you. Nor will the weight difference.
Visit an LBS and see what they have to offer.

JohnP said...

Oh, and only pussies ride with triple rings. There is not a hill around that you can't do with just double rings. Triple only comes in handy if you're planning to get into touring and load the bike down with luggage. In that case, neither of those bikes are any good for that.
Also - With a triple, you'll be tempted to use the small ring - thus you'll never improve your riding ability and you'll be cheating the workout.

Beth said...

Definitely go to a local bike shop and get fit for the correct bike. Or even try out a few shops/brands to see which fits you best. Its worth spending a few extra dollars to get exactly the right bike.

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

go w ith a felt! they make a nice women's raod bike. Love getting new bikes! YEA!
LC

Jennifer said...

It comes down to 3 things for me: a) how does the bike feel when you ride it (is it comfortable), b) what components come with it (what John said: you'll notice the quality (or not) of the shifters.) And c) is there a big weight difference? You will notice the weight on the hills.

re: JohnP's triple chain ring comment, I don't think he's ridden the hills in San Francisco :-) If you have a lot of steep hills there's nothing wrong with a triple. If you really want to strengthen your quads, stick with a double.

Jeff - DangleTheCarrot said...

Sorry Katie I have to agree with JohnP here. The felt has a much better frame, if you get the other one you will use it for two races and then want to upgrade. Trust me here - you seem to be a competitive person and you push yourself and expect perfection. You will be disappointed in the Mercier.

Have you been to a local bike shop yet? Now the Felt maybe the right bike for you but go find a Felt dealer and try them out so you know the size you need! Seriously this is the time to go because they have smoking deals on 2010 models right now and can fit you to the right frame. A friend of mine just got a Quintana Roo CD0.1 for $2k. This is $4k bike! Good luck!

Joe said...

First, always buy the bike that fits the best. Second, and I learned this from a good friend that owned a car dealership, always buy the one with the features you want. Saving a few dollars and not being happy will come back to haunt you.