Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Upping the Mileage (how not to do it)

   I've been thinking recently that in order to improve my 5k and maybe start training for some longer races I should be putting in more mileage.  Over the past two months I've done only 3 or 4 runs that were 6-7 miles.   I highly favor interval work right now, but I know you need a good mix of the two in order to get the best results.  Also reading all you super distance runner blogs has had me thinking about running longer.  So today I went for it. . . 13 miles.


                          Y'all are nuts!!!!
                 (I mean I realize 13 miles is child's play to many of you,  I don't
                                                      know how you do it.  I've got nothing but respect for you)


     I don't know how some of you do such high mileage, my legs are completely dead right now.  I ran 6.5 out and then back.  The first half I ran in 57 min, my overall time was 2:01.  I definitely had some walking breaks at the end there (most of the last mile :/).    I was starving the whole way back (I guess that's my mistake for not bringing any fuel)  If I had any money with me I surely would have stopped at one of the numerous restaurants along the way.   Obviously going from a high of 6 miles straight to 13 might not be the best way to go, I'll never claim to be the brightest crayon in the box ;)   Spontaneous, that's what that was right there.

That's all I got right now, I've gotta go stuff my face and take some pain killers.

12 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

The 10% rule, the rule to follow is to increase your distance no more then 10% every week, it keeps you from getting potential injuries

Melissa Cunningham said...

yup,big daddy is right!!!!!
hope you arent too sore tomorrow!!

Ron said...

big daddy (as always) is on it. CAREFUL.

Allison said...

ICE ICE ICE!!!!!! That will SAVE YOU!!

My first 13 will be on Sunday..... sooo nervous :)

Katie said...

I know, def. not the smartest move. I just got it in my head that I wanted to run for two hours, so I did it. I will absolutely be following the 10 % rule from now on, Thanks BD.

Good Luck in your half Allison!!

Heidi said...

Ouch, you crazy girl. That's quite a jump there. Though I get it. Sometimes it's just nice to know you CAN do it. Now you can build up properly and work on pace. Though that was a darn good time for an improptu half without training. ;)

TRI714 said...

Oh crap, :-) that's a leap. Randomn 10k mileage to a 1/2 mary. And no fuel, I would have bonked and cried prolly. Good job for gutting it out. YOU MAY PAY A LITTLE FOR THIS ONE BLONDIE.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Wow! Good for you!!!!!!! Recovery socks!! And, ice baths for long runs!

I love interval training too. Better for the bod! :)

Just_because_today said...

wow! that's a big jump. Some people are okay with that, most of us are not. I'd suggest drop down to 8 for a long run and slowly and I mean slowly work your way up to 13.
That's my favorite distance, 13.1. You are some fast devil! 2.01 for a training run? yeah!!!

Katie said...

Heidi ~ Your spot on, it was totally a mental thing. I was really nervous about it, I didn't think I would be able to finish but I made it :D

Tri~ I was in pain for a few hours after, now I'm feeling great. We shall see how I feel in the morning.

Jess~ I need to get me some recovery socks. And mmhhmm I love my intervals cause they help shape the booty!!

J-b-t~ Ohhh i'm with you on the dropping down to 8-ish and slowly working my way up to 13, I won't be attempting that again for a long bit. Thanks for the encouragement, I was trying not to focus on time, but I did get down on myself for having to walk some at the end.

Matty O said...

You have A LOT to learn :)

After long workouts like that (which to you would be on the hard category) you should do ice baths to suck the lactic acid out of your legs. Aids in recovery. I am sure you know about this because I think I read you ran XC.

Everything is relative. If you train for 5k's that distance will seem difficult. If you train for marathons that distance is a joke. Do what Big Daddy Diesel said, slowly increase your distance over a 4 week period you will be running those with no problem.

You should run with gel packs as well either Gu or Hammer Gels. Anything over a 10k you will most likely be needing to replenish your bodies nutrients so you can continue to perform. I typically take them every 30-45 minutes depending on the length of the run.

Good job persevering and pushing through that workout. It is a huge step if you want to run longer distances!!!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

You are hilarious! Great job on you run. I always get so hungry on my runs too!! Just keep building up and it will get easy I promise. I never even considered running double digit miles until just a few years ago. Great job and enjoy the painkillers:)