Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bikini Body Move #2 - The Plank


 If you're looking for flatter abs The Plank is absolutely the best exercise for you.  To perform a plank  assume push-up position with your elbows bent, forearms extended on the floor. Your body should form a straight line and you should be contracting your ab muscles to stabilize your core.  Hold for as long as you can, try for 30 seconds and work your way up to 2 minutes or more.

(Taking pictures is a good way to fix your form too, in this pic I realized my elbows should be slightly more aligned with my shoulders.)

Demonstration video below:

                                                                
                                 

 I am confident that if you do 2-4 planks everyday (or at least most days) you will see a difference in your stomach (they only take a few mins. a day).   I can honestly say that even pre-pregnancy I never used to wear bikinis.  I hated my stomach Now since I started doing planks 2 years ago I wear them all the time, they gave my stomach such a toned, flat look and some nice definition :D.  Do realize though that planks won't get rid if excess fat, if you're looking to lose fat off your stomach your best bet is reducing your calorie intake, along with a daily cardio routine. 

 I've been doing my planks on and off all summer, but I finally got serious this week and have started doing them every night again.  I am very excited to see the results in a few weeks!  As per my usual advice some great music will help you hold your planks longer, I know it helps me big time :)

Here's a video as well, preferably don't toss your hair around idk what I was doing:


9 comments:

shannon said...

Hi Katie. I saw you on SOAM. You look great and I was looking for any advice you can give me! Diet and workout. I am 18 months pp with my 2nd cesarean. I am 5'2" and 118-120 (but I look more). I have loose skin and lots of stretch marks, as well as a small cesarean "shelf". Like I said, and tips would help!! My email is loughnane.s@gmail.com

Amanda-The Nutritionist Reviews said...

Great blog! You are very pretty.

I just found your blog on a Saturday Blog Hop! Have a wonderful weekend!

Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

To Band or not To Band? said...

Hi Katie! Thanks so much for your visit to my blog! It looks like I could learn a lot from you!!! Will be back soon!

Katie said...

Aww Thank You Amanda :D

Shannon- I am going to email you, I'm just a little slow with it sorry :)

Band- Love your blog, keep working it's worth it!

screwdestiny said...

Yay Fall Out Boy!!! Haha, I love to workout to their music. Do you do side planks as well? I find those are super for toning the obliques. Also, when doing this plank gets to easy try transitioning back and forth from elbows to hands. It forces you to hold your abs even tighter so that you're not putting all the weight into your shoulders.

Katie said...

Yesss Fall Out Boy has gotten me through many, many workouts :) I actually don't do side planks right now but if I want J-Simps abs I better start! I have done the alternating elbows to hands plank before but you just reminded me to start doing it again, Thank You :D

Singlemama said...

Love the videos! I am going to start doing the plank as well. Seems easy, yet just hard enough, lol.

Hello! I am your newest follower from the Follow Me Back Tuesday Blog Hop! I would love it if you would follow me back at one or all three of my blogs :)

www.singleparentretreat.com
http://singlemamachallenges.blogspot.com/
http://motherdaughterconnection.blogspot.com/

Thank you and have a great week!

Srdjan said...

Hey Katie,

The plank is awesome. I try to add in side planks as well to my routine.

How long can you hold your forward plank?

Katie said...

I can usually hold it for about 2 mins. (but it's painful :) Right now I'm getting back into the routine and can hold for 1-1:30.

I make sure to contract my muscles, and that makes it a lot harder to hold. I usually try to contract them as hard as I can for the last 15-20 secs.